Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Book Review: Little Heathens

I just finished Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish.

This book is the conversation I wish I'd had with my own grandmothers.

Mildred Armstrong Kalish fills us in on the daily life of a child on an Iowa farm during the Great Depression. This book left me with a nostalgic yearning for the simpler life they had, in spite of the fact that their lives were also far more difficult. There is much to be learned from their thrift and capacity for hard work.

A few of the reviews I've read didn't appreciate the recipes for things that they ate that were included. Maybe it's because I'm a housewife, mother, from-scratch cook, and lover of all things food, but I enjoyed the recipes. In fact, the apple cream pie will be on our table this Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment