Thursday, December 17, 2015

Looking for book suggestions

Once again I am looking for suggestions for a reading challenge.

I am looking for the gems of classic literature or contemporary fiction. I am looking for those books, fiction or non-fiction, that are foundational to cultural literacy. I am looking for the non-fiction books that really taught you something or made you think. Or maybe a book was just so enjoyable that you think everyone should read it.

If you're worried about suggesting something I've read, don't. (But I have read all of Steinbeck and Austen, and most Shakespeare.) Other authors have spottier coverage.

Someone asked last night what my must-reads are, and that's a hard question. So instead I'll tell you some of my favorites: East of Eden, and everything else by John Steinbeck; Emma, Sense and Sensibility, and Persuasion by Jane Austen; The Count of Monte Cristo; A Little Princess by Francis Hodgson Burnett; . . .And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Satmeyer;The Screwtape Letters;  Nicholas Nickleby; Vanity Fair; Katherine by Anya Seton; The Lord of the Rings trilogy; Their Eyes Were Watching God; Death Comes for the Archbishop; The Stand by Stephen King; The Remains of the Day; Doomsday Book by Connie Willis; Unbroken; The Captains and the Kings; The Jeeves books by P.G.Wodehouse; The Lord Peter Wimsey books by Dorothy Sayers; Kristin Lavransdatter; Charlotte's Web; The Little House books; Harry Potter; The Poisonwood Bible; American Gods  and The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman; The Supper of the Lamb by Robert Farrar Capon, 1984; A Canticle for Leibowitz; All the Light We Cannot See.

So give me your suggestions! If I've read them they may still help someone else.






No comments:

Post a Comment