Monday, February 2, 2009

Book review: Terrorist

I had never read anything by John Updike. I had heard that his books had a lot of sex, but had never heard much else. But last week, when he died, I read any number of posts that made me pretty sure that I was missing something.

I figured I would give Updike a try. So, at the library, I happened across Terrorist. It looked good and was relatively short, at 310 pages, so that if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't be losing much.

What an excellent book! It is the story of an 18-year-old Muslim man who, through the influence of his local imam, is pulled into a terror plot. The characters and setting feel real. Yes, there was sex, but the way it was presented elucidated the characters and advanced the story.

I will definitely be reading more Updike.

No comments:

Post a Comment