Saturday, November 24, 2012

2013 A Little Help from My Friends Challenge

The idea for this challenge came from a post on my other blog. I asked my friends for their must-read books. From those suggestions, I am going to set a goal to read 10 books this year.

So here's the challenge:
--In some way, get a list of book suggestions from your friends.
--From those suggestions choose between five and ten books that you will read in 2013.
--Make a list of the books that you will read and a few alternates. (I like some flexibility.)
--Copy the picture above, if you like, and post it on your blog.
--Make a post on your blog where you will keep track of the books for this challenge, and link back to this post.
--Please post a comment below with  link to that blog post. Come back and post again when you've finished. Reviews aren't required but they're always fun! If you don't blog, join us anyway. Just let us know in the comments what you are reading and when you are done.
--No book started before 1/1/2013 counts. Books can be used for other challenges.
--There will be prizes including book giveaways and an Amazon gift card.


My list:
1. Kristin Lavransdatter  by Sigrid Undset (3/17/2013)
2. Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery (1/6/2013)
3. My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok (7/4/2013)
4. Tam Lin by Pamela Dean (12/15/2013)
5. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (10/29/2013)
6. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor (6/29/2013)
7. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
8. Middlemarch by George Eliot (12/13/2013)
9. My Antonia by Willa Cather
10. Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny (2/18/2013)
Alternates:
--Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
--The Passing of the Armies by Joshua Chamberlain
--The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (11/21/2013)
--Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
--Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome


18 comments:

  1. Okay, help me out here, Janie. I've never done one of those year-long reading challenges. If I read one book for fun every 2-4 years, the idea of two per week is out of the realm of possibility. But what you're proposing here looks manageable. Maybe. Hard. But still something that could be considered.

    So if I read it to Maggie out loud, does that count?

    What if I start before January 1?

    Can I even remember to come back here and post when I finish? Good golly, that's 12-13 months away. I'll be doing great if I can fit in the reading. And you want me to remember to write down when I finish? Hooooo boy ... the pressure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Reading out loud to Maggie Counts. Go ahead and start whenever you want. And I'll ask you next January how you did. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can bring several of those when we come for Christmas. I have Emily of New Moon, Tam Lin, My Antonia, and Swallows and Amazons. I also have Les Mis, but we'll have to see if I'm finished with it by then. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Done. And now I live with the list.

    Do you know how scary that is?

    http://ishouldntbedointhis.blogspot.com/2012/11/challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a list yet, but here's my blog post:

    http://agnusdei1996.wordpress.com/2012/11/28/2013-a-little-help-from-my-friends-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh this is tempting. I will think about this one. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. List has been made. :) Updated link (I ended up setting up a category just for the challenge): http://agnusdei1996.wordpress.com/category/reading-challenge-2013/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so it took me three and a half weeks to get this figured out and posted. Sheesh. Here's my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just looking at this, you posted this in NOV! I'm WAY behind on thinking ahead.

    I would like to point out that I'm currently working my way through the Battlestar Galactica series written by Richard Hatch (played Apollo) too, but those are my fun books.

    Here's my post. It's done! ;)
    http://gonorthyoungpack.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-little-help-from-my-friends-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not have a blog, but will post through email.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jane, slow down! HOLY MOLY you're a reading fiend! I'm impressed. Not only have you finished one for this challenge, you've got a bazillion other challenges going! I WILL finish my first book soon, if it kills me, and if I have to do it with a 3 yr old girl hanging from my neck while I read (where she currently is)! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No blog, so posting here, if that is OK. I tried to post from the kindle awhile back but I don't think it worked. Here is my list:

    -Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith
    -Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin
    -Redemption by Karen Kingsbury
    -In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
    -The Blue Mountain by Meir Shalev
    -I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
    -Borderliners by Peter Hoeg
    -The Underland Chronically (5 book series) by Suzanne Collins

    ReplyDelete
  14. I finished Thomas Jefferson Education. I like it. I like the idea behind the TJE concept. Read classics. Read them with a mentor, take copious notes. Journal about it daily, and discuss it with each other. This I like immensely... not so sure I have the discipline to implement. I'll have to go read my blog to see what is #2 on the list, but right now I have Bo Giertz out to read Hammer of God next. I think this book too I started once, but I'll start over cause I do NOT remember any of it. It's on my list. I just can't remember what I wanted to read next...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Finished - http://ishouldntbedointhis.blogspot.com/2013/04/reading-challenge-finished.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I finished. :) http://agnusdei1996.wordpress.com/category/reading-challenge-2013/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blogged. http://harroldhoosier.blogspot.com/2013/12/quickly-now-old-year-passes.html

    ReplyDelete