Saturday, May 21, 2016

Review: Spoon River Anthology


WHEN I Discovered This Classic I found an illustrated 1915 edition of this book in a used bookstore.

WHY I Chose to Read It I needed a break from Midnight's Children, and this was a nice break.

WHAT Makes It A Classic I think that there are a couple of things that make this book a classic, but mostly the unique form. The book is a collection of poems, each of which is the epitaph of one of the denizens of the town cemetery. Woven together they tell a story of the town and it's inhabitants over time.
WHAT I Thought of This Classic
I enjoyed it. I will probably read it again.
WILL It Stay A Classic
I would guess so.
WHO I’d Recommend It To
I would recommend this book to people who enjoy poetry, words, and who would enjoy the challenge of piecing together the story from the many bits of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment