Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Book Review: The Monster of Florence

I have had this book on my shelf and in my TBR pile for a couple of years. I was drawn to it because the author, Douglas Preston, is part of my favorite writing duo, teaming up with Lincoln Child to write a series of excellent books, mostly featuring FBI agent Pendergast, as well as several other thrillers.

 I'm glad that I finally pulled it off the shelf.

In 2000, Preston moved with his family to Italy to write. He quickly became interested in the story of a serial killer  known as The Monster of Florence. The first, more historical part of the book about the killings and the initial investigations into the murders was fascinating. The crimes were laid out. Suspects were introduced. Investigations were undertaken.

The second part, focusing more on the workings--or lack thereof--of the Italian justice system was infuriating and rather tedious. I'm sure that, as it was going on and Preston was in fear of being imprisoned in Italy, it was far from tedious, but that part of the book got long.

It was an interesting read. Not bad. Just not as good as his fiction. Three stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment