Thursday, April 10, 2014

Book Review: Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

NefertitiNefertiti by Michelle Moran
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I read historical fiction I am looking for two things. First, I want to be entertained, or I would have just chosen a non-fiction book. Second, I want to either gain new insights on a place and time that I already know, or become interested in one that I don't. This book passed both tests.

I came to this book completely ignorant about Egypt in this time period, and reading it sent me off to do more research. Because there are so many things that aren't known about the Armana period, Nefertiti, and other parts of the story, Michelle Moran had some latitude in her story-telling. Do I think that her telling is completely accurate? Probably not. But that's why it's historical fiction. I look forward to reading more about the era.

The story, as a story, was good. When I had to put my book down, I wanted to get back to it. The writing wasn't fantastic, but it didn't make me want to throw the book across the room. (Have done it.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment