Thursday, April 10, 2014

Review: The Line by J.D. Horn

The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)The Line by J.D. Horn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book about a family of witches in Savannah, Georgia had some good points: There were some interesting elements to the story. The main character was someone that I cared about enough to make me care about the outcome of the story, and some of the other characters were at least interesting.

But the book also had its weaknesses: It felt chaotic, like it didn't quite hang together. The magical elements of the story often felt inconsistent, like the author didn't quite have the world he was writing about figured out. There was almost too much going on; a little editing of story lines could have made it a stronger book. I wasn't surprised to find that the author was male, because in some ways Mercy, the main character, seemed like a caricature of a teenaged girl. (Which was another peeve of mine: Mercy was supposed to be 20, but she read about 16.)

The second installment is due out in June and I may read it to see what happens next and to see if the consistency has improved, or I may not.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment