Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Book Review: The Survival Handbook

I am an indoor girl. Sure, I enjoy watching Survivorman with my sons, but I like civilization. I hope I never have to use much of the information that is in The Survival Handbook:Essential Skills for Outdoor Adventure, but if I need it, the book is likely to be a great help. I particularly like the clear instructions for finding and preparing water and food and the first aid section.

Because of my lack of expertise in surviving without four walls and indoor plumbing, I asked my husband to take a look at the book. He is an avid hiker, backpacker, and sleep-in-the-woods kind of guy. I was lucky to get the book back. He spent two straight evenings going through page by page, and at the end pronounced the book "very useful."

He liked the variety of information presented. He and I both liked the illustrations, always a strength of DK books. I, personally, miss the classic DK look with photos and clean crisp type, but that is just a stylistic preference and doesn't affect the effectiveness of the book.

Lots of good information. Clearly presented. This book is a keeper, even for an indoor girl like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment